Oh what fun! Throughout the month of December, residents at our communities are encouraged to participate in Santa-approved activities and experience the magic of the season.
It’s all about spending time together and enjoying good company as older adults. The activities don’t have to be elaborate or extravagant to be meaningful, and it’s important to encourage older adults to join in the holiday festivities whenever possible while being careful to not overdo it.
Our communities have several fun and festive traditions; some are very simple, some are about serving others and some are just about gathering together with friends and family. From an array of red and green crafts to caroling galore, there can be something on your agenda for friends and family members of all ages.
We’ve rounded up 10 of our favorite holiday activities that are perfect for seniors to enjoy:
- Attend a festive pajama party with family.
- Make a Christmas ornament.
- Pass out candy canes to neighbors to celebrate National Candy Cane Day.
- Sip hot cocoa with a friend.
- Read a Christmas story to a child.
- Sing Christmas carols with volunteers or schools.
- Decorate a Christmas cookie for Santa.
- Make a holiday candy dish to prepare for holiday visitors.
- Watch a Christmas movie or play.
- Make a Christmas wreath craft to deck the halls.